Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Clomid, HSG, IUI, and Bears..oh my!

The day finally arrived. March 13, 2014. It was time for our appointment with our RE. We had a slew of paperwork to fill out prior to our appointment. We arrived and met with the doctor. I will refer to him as Dr. G. We sat in his office and he basically confirmed that I had PCOS. He told us that our chances for trying were 0-0 because I never ovulated on my own. He said he would rather see 0-0 then 0-10. At least, with an 0-0 record, he could try to fix the ovulation issue and that would give us a fighting chance.

Dr. G ordered me a full lab work up. I got blood taken there in the office and then had to go to the hospital to get a million more gallons taken. He wanted to check everything off of the list. He also said he would need to get a semen analysis. He was not thrilled about that but he knew it was what needed to be done. Dr. G also spat our words and acronyms that had no meaning to me such as: Clomid, HSG, and IUI. Huh? I had no clue what he was referring to. I just nodded and tried to take it all in. He said that they were going to start doing a number of things right away to get the ball started. I loved his aggressive-ness and enthusiasm. I loved that someone was finally listening to me.



In addition to the blood work, I also had an ultrasound done that day in the office. They told me that the ultrasound showed that my uterine lining was EXTREMELY thick. He ordered me a prescription for Provera. I had to take 1 pill a day for 10 days and then I should expect my cycle to start shortly after. He warned that it was going to be an awful cycle and boy was it ever. I will spare you the details, let's just say, I didn't think I would survive it.

The other really fun part was having a Cycle Day (CD) 3 ultrasound done. So after I finished taking the Provera, and once I finally got a period, I was supposed to call Dr. G and they made an appointment for me to come in for a CD 3 ultrasound. Did I mention the ultrasounds are done internally, as in vaginally? Yeah so um, imagine having that done during the worst period imaginable. Not good times at all. I was scarred for life after that appointment. The CD3 ultrasound showed that my lining was still very thick and I would need to go on Provera again. Ugh! What a bummer. This is why I am pissed at my gyno. She acted as though it was no big deal that I hadn't gotten a cycle when in fact it is a very big deal. Dr. G explained to me that allowing your uterine lining to build up like that puts you at an increased risk for uterine cancer. That was a hard sentence to hear. No one wants to hear that they are at an increased risk for any kind of cancer. I decided then and there that I would be switching gynos.

My blood work came back normal. Well not normal but what they expected it to show for a patient with PCOS. So I was left just waiting for a cycle again. Story of my life...


No comments:

Post a Comment